Thursday 30 April 2009

Androgyny

Androgyny



I could easily have titled this post with a song reference, but I refuse to quote that atrocious "Beyonce" song and the "The Who" lyrics I have in my head are probably a little too obscure to serve this purpose.





Alas, today I'm going to talk about one of my favourite trends in fashion and fashion photography. Androgyny. I love it. So visual, so visceral, so moving at times. From images of David Bowie to Agyness Deyn to the backup dancers in the video for "Addicted to Love" to the fashion photography of Paolo Roversi. I love it. The whole style, the whole movement.

As such, it is only natural that I would want to incorporate the use of androgyny into my own photography.

Thanks to a few keen models, though not entirely without trepidation, I have been able to start an ongoing body of work based solely on that single, yet enormously broad, concept.




While I am over the moon about being able to conduct this project, I've found that there are a few misconceptions out there that turn a lot of people off of the concept. In particular, male models . I seem to find people tend to believe that androgyny is the act of a girl looking like a boy or a boy looking like a girl.

At least in my vision of the concept, that could not be further from the truth. In fact, it's about being genderless. Either or. Not gender reversal, rather a convergence of both feminine and masculine traits.




Minor hindrances aside, I am now fully on my way to furthering this particular body of work and I can only assume that as the project progresses it will only get easier to justify my vision. I have seriously enjoyed creating my photographic work with androgyny so far and I can only hope to continue to do so in the future!


Miki Valentine (by macjw2)
Miki Valentine (by macjw2)

Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings. Feel free to drop a comment below whether you loved the images, hated them or think I'm just completely full of it! All feedback is always appreciated!









Add to Technorati Favorites

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen the Genderfork.com site at all? I'm a curator there and this is the kind of stuff we try to get more exposure for. While we do have photos of gender variance (the boy to girl, girl to boy thing you referenced), we strive to make it mostly about androgyny, as thats how the project was started. :)
    -Sheik

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO hot. I'm totally excited to see more of this to you. That's fantastic. You know I love this stuff. I'm doing a pinup shoot with a guy next week - I always like making people take a second look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deadly Nightshade, hands in pockets -- stunning shot. Great pose, wonderful lighting. Looking at your other work, it seems you've got the lighting thang weighed off.

    Cheers,
    --Mark
    www.highton-ridley.co.uk

    ReplyDelete